kitchen tales (salmer fra kjøkkenet) – Paper Tiger


You can view the original post here

I’ve been that means to share a bit about this design because the autumn 2021 concern of Amirisu got here out in November! The problem’s theme is knitwear impressed by movies, and I discovered the method of developing with a design for this one tremendous attention-grabbing, so I assumed I’d share each my new design right now in addition to a bit concerning the movie that impressed it. (I did briefly share a couple of ideas over on the Amirisu blog again in November, however I’ll go right into a bit extra depth right here.)

Kitchen Tales is a Norwegian/Swedish co-production directed by Bent Hamer (unique title Salmer fra kjøkkenet, actually “psalms from the kitchen,” and sometimes you’ll discover it with that title in English). The cardigan I designed shares its identify with the movie, however earlier than I am going into an excessive amount of element I’m going to take you again to the start of the method, when the unique transient for the difficulty got here by means of.

Usually when it’s time for a name for submissions, Amirisu (or any journal, for that matter) has a theme in thoughts and so they put collectively a visible temper board to steer you within the path they need to go. This time, nonetheless, the decision specified that they had been in search of knitwear impressed by our favourite films, and there was no temper board. I like movies, so I cherished this transient, however I additionally discovered it a singular problem. With no visible temper board for the difficulty there have been so many instructions that designs may go in – likewise with the entire world of films at my disposal. I really feel like my style in movies is usually a little eclectic, and the three films I used to be capable of slender it right down to in all probability showcase that – they had been Kitchen Tales (a quiet and barely absurd comedy from 2003 set in post-war Norway), Breathless (or À bout de souffle, Godard’s early French New Wave 1960 directorial debut), and My Neighbor Totoro (the 1988 animated Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli movie a couple of pleasant forest spirit, to grossly oversimplify).

I put collectively my very own temper board with stills and pictures from the movies to assist me begin to brainstorm concepts. If I went for My Neighbor Totoro, the visible connection to the movie may both be very literal (and thus, cartoony) or barely extra summary, drawing on the themes of nature and environmentalism – not not like the opposite items I’ve already designed for Amirisu. If I went for Breathless, which was shot in black and white on location in Paris, stripes gave the impression to be the overwhelming visible. Traditional, however a bit nameless as nicely. Ultimately it’s not an enormous shock I went for Kitchen Tales; the Norwegian setting undoubtedly aligns with my type as a designer, and the movie itself has an extremely sturdy visible id.

“Salmer fra Kjøkkenet” 2003 © BulBul Movie a.s., Regi Bent Hamer, Stillsfotograf Erik Aavatsmark

Kitchen Tales is ready in rural Norway within the post-WWII interval. Isak, a lone farmer, has signed as much as take part in a research being carried out by the Swedish Residence Analysis Institute investigating the kitchen habits of Norwegian bachelors. He regrets this determination and as soon as Swedish researcher Folke exhibits up, Isak makes use of his kitchen very reluctantly. Director Bent Hamer was impressed by among the research the precise Hemmens forskningsinstitut carried out on housewives throughout this era, however the addition of Norwegian bachelors provides the movie its barely absurdist twist. On the movie’s opening we watch a brigade of Swedish researchers drive their vehicles and trailers – which the researchers will reside in in the course of the research – throughout the border to satisfy the Norwegian contributors on the opposite aspect.

The trailers are all the identical shade of minty blue-green, and this shade theme continues all through the movie, as Isak’s kitchen partitions are additionally a dusty blue-green shade. Provided that it’s one in all my favourite shade households (I’ve even lately painted my craft room a minty blue-green shade), the colour palette for the design was clear from the beginning.

Whereas the movie itself doesn’t essentially function stranded knitting, this mid-century interval was undoubtedly a heyday for conventional Norwegian kofter, or colorwork cardigans, so I opted to attract from that custom for the design. It’s undoubtedly a contemporary tackle the garment, although, between the comfortable pastel shade palette (whereas black and white could be extra conventional) and the sunshine weight of the yarn and the completed cardigan – on this interval kofter tended to be made with thicker yarn knit at a really tight gauge. They had been heavy and fairly weatherproof, and will basically be used as outerwear. My Kitchen Tales cardigan is knit with Biches et Bûches Le Petit Lambswool, a woolen spun gentle fingering weight yarn, knit at a gauge of 26 stitches per 4″ / 10 cm, making it fairly applicable for our well-insulated and well-heated fashionable interiors.

Picture courtesy of Amirisu Journal

The development is comparatively conventional, however with some small variations in method to swimsuit fashionable preferences in relation to working steeks and slicing knitting. The physique is labored within the spherical from the underside up, with a steek for the entrance opening, steeks for every armhole, and entrance neck steek to create the curved neckline. The shoulders are seamed and the steeks are lower open earlier than stitches are picked up across the armhole to work the sleeves high down. The neckband is picked up and knit backwards and forwards, and eventually the button bands are picked up from the entrance edges and labored backwards and forwards. It’s a rewarding if considerably labor intensive course of, and I’m so happy with the ultimate cardigan. The motif I used got here from Anne Bårdsgård’s Selbu Patterns (Selbumønster within the unique Norwegian) and it’s one I’ve wished to make use of since I first laid eyes on it, with its mixture of geometric components (just like the sturdy diagonals) and natural ones (just like the little pine bough motifs call to mind each foliage but in addition frost patterns on a window).

The entire concern is a good looking one (you'll be able to see the remainder of the patterns on Ravelry here), and one of many issues I seemed ahead to previous to its launch was studying which movies the opposite designers used as their supply of inspiration. I cherished discovering out that My Neighbor Totoro made it into the difficulty in spite of everything, with Sari Nordland’s Satsuki (Rav link), a refined however intelligent interpretation of the sample on Totoro’s stomach utilizing minimalist cables. I used to be additionally glad to see the French New Wave represented as nicely, with Orlane Sucche’s Cléo (Rav link) impressed by Agnès Varda’s Cléo de 5 à 7. I’m so grateful that I bought to be a part of this concern.



You can view the original post here Show Original: https://librareview.com/kitchen-tales-salmer-fra-kjokkenet-paper-tiger/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Anti-Aging Treatment Products Work

Anti-Aging Treatments – Treatment of Age Spots

Meat Free Taco Recipes from Dietitians